June 2, 2014

A 100-word story!


"Brevity is the soul of wit." - William Shakespeare

That is very true, I think.

I've never been a fan of slogging through text to get to the point of what someone is trying to say. As a writer, I delight in taking a written piece and trimming down the words. It's actually something of a game to me -- a puzzle-solving game. I try to preserve the spirit of the piece and not lose an ounce of meaning, even as I chop out word after word. I force myself to keep only the words that truly matter ... that carry the meaning.

A few years ago, I had fun taking some stories of my own invention and snipping words until I was left with exactly 100. Here is the result of one of those experiments:

“Hey, you wanna play tic-tac-toe?” Startled, I glanced up to see a freckle-faced boy. I didn’t know his name, but I recognized him as the kid with bright red hair who had sat to my left in class all morning, picking his nose.

It was recess—and my first day at a new school. “Okay,” I said. He sat down. In the dirt, he rather crookedly drew two sets of parallel lines with his finger. As I played that first game with Andrew, I knew I’d found a friend in my freckle-faced companion, even if he did pick his nose.

What do you think of this story?

Would you like to see more of my writing? My stories? Maybe (if I'm feeling particularly brave,) some of my poetry? Make your thoughts known below.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment