March 9, 2015

50 Things About Me

Just for fun, here’s a list of 50 random things that you might not know about me:

1. I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t an avid reader. (When I was in elementary school, I vividly remember picking up a large stack of The Boxcar Children books at the library. At checkout, the librarian looked me up and down and asked, “Are you sure you can read all of these in two weeks?” Yes. Yes I can.)

2. My favorite color is red, and it was the prominently featured color at my wedding.

3. I like tea. I don’t drink coffee.

4. I first tried Nutella when I was in Europe. (Does anyone else feel like Nutella makes all bread taste like a chocolate donut? Soooo good!)

5. I have never had a cavity.

6. When I was a child, I was obsessed with cats. (I was given a kitten for my birthday by a family friend one year. My parents didn't know about the gift until it was already given ... and I was so excited that my parents were nice enough to let me keep the cat, which I named "Butterscotch." The cat had to live outdoors, though, because my dad is allergic. In later years, I also developed a cat allergy. Sad day!)

7. Together, my sister and I read every one of Jane Austen’s novels aloud!

8. I don’t like plain tomatoes, but I do like tomato sauce, salsa, and ketchup. Weird, I know!

9. I was 23 years old when I had my first kiss.

10. I played the violin from 2nd grade through high school.

11. I love my husband. He’s honest, humble, hardworking, and funny. And handsome.  ;)

12. I began keeping a journal when I was 7 years old.

13. I can sing the alphabet backwards.

14. My favorite constellation is Orion, and it’s usually the first one I spot in the sky when I gaze up into the heavens on a clear night.

15. I have never broken a bone.

16. I am right-handed.

17. My favorite letter is D. It's been my favorite letter ever since I learned cursive in 3rd grade!

18. I prefer dark chocolate.

19. Dave and I have two pets: a red fish named Sir Percival Blakeney (Percy for short) and a Shih Tzu named Molly.

20. My favorite superhero is Batman. I also like Captain America.

21. I look so much like my mom that complete strangers comment on it when we’re out together!

22. Hockey is the sport I can most tolerate watching.  :)

23. I have had a lot of fun being in plays over the years. I love playing characters that are very different from my personality in real life. My favorite of the parts I’ve played so far was an angry hillbilly!

24. I have gone swimming with stingrays.

25. I can recite all 50 states in alphabetical order.

26. I am not a morning person. I typically prefer not to communicate verbally until after 10am.

27. I don’t like any kind of dressing on my salad.

28. Some people think I am tall, but I am actually the shortest of my siblings!

29. One day, while I was stopped at a red light in my car, I was rear ended by an SUV. The driver apologized, saying she was distracted because she was thinking about donuts. True story!

30. I’d prefer going to a play than a movie.

31. Owl City is my favorite musical artist.

32. My name, Laurel, has two meanings: flower and victorious.

33. When I want to cheer myself up, I watch video clips of babies laughing.  :)

34. When I was in high school, I fell flat on my face one day and had to get stitches! I still have a scar above my upper lip, but you have to look closely to see it.

35. According to Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, I am an ENFJ.

36. I have been to a leper colony.

37. When I was a kid, I used to get in trouble a lot for talking in class.

38. People say I look like Molly Ringwald.

39. My favorite animal is the humpback whale.

40. When I was a child, my favorite food was my mom’s Broccoli Cheese Soup.

41. Autumn is my favorite season.

42. I have had panic attacks. They are awful!

43. I sponsor two little girls through Compassion International.

44. My favorite punctuation mark is the em dash. (Yeah, I am a bit of a grammar nerd!)

45. I enjoy baking and trying new recipes!

46. I don’t mind looking at mice in a pet store when they are behind glass, but it freaks me out if mice are skulking around in my living space!

47. I like opera, especially The Barber of Seville and The Magic Flute.

48. When I was a teenager, I used to volunteer in the dementia unit at a nursing home. (One lady was convinced that she left her oven on and had to go back to check on it constantly. Another had a baby doll that she swore was a real child. My favorite was a lady who thought she was a teenager like me. She’d grab my arm when I came in. “I’m glad you’re back!” she’d say. “I don’t know why I’m stuck here with all of these OLD people.” She regaled me with stories--including one about how she snuck out one night. She made me promise I wouldn’t tell her dad!)

49. My favorite people to sing with are my family.

50. Of all the Disney princesses, I find that I most identify with Snow White. Animals always seem to love me. I even met with a whole family of deer one time on a walk! I also love to sing. And then there’s my skin color … definitely a beautiful white!

Do you share any of these things in common with me? What are some random facts about yourself? I'd love to hear from you! Just post in a comment below.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment