April 24, 2015

A Moment I'd Rather Forget

Shivering, I strolled
under tangled trees
My slow breath a foggy mist
My path crunchy with frost

Birds warbled, trilled, and called
The messengers of spring
I tried to smile, but my face
was too numb

Just ahead, I spotted the warm lodge
Where breakfast awaited
The smell of sausages
Wafted on the chilly breeze

Flinging open the door
I realized I was late
As twenty pairs of eyes turned on me
Gasps sounded

Hands covered tittering mouths
Fingers pointed--all at me
Instinctively, my hand touched my chilled cheek
Coming away white and wet.

"She has bird poop on her face!"



This poem is part of my April Poetry Challenge. In honor of National Poetry Month this year, I'm writing lots of poetry and posting a new poem every day in April! Read more of my poetry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment