April 3, 2015

Good Friday

"Hail, king of the Jews!"
Soldiers cried out, falling on their knees
in mockery.

A simple purple robe
Twisted thorns as a crown
But Jesus did not step down.

The soldiers did not know
They spit on and struck
The One who created all of us.

"King of the Jews"
the sign above his head hailed
As to the cross Jesus was nailed.

But what the shouting mob didn't know
Is that they crucified the King of Kings
The Maker and Ruler of all things.

And when the noonday sun
should have been brightly shining,
The crowd found themselves in darkness confining.

Three hours later, into that dark blackness,
Jesus cried out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

And he breathed his last.

But that's not the end of the story ...



This poem is part of my April Poetry Challenge. In honor of National Poetry Month this year, I'm writing lots of poetry and posting a new poem every day in April! Read more of my poetry here.


No comments:

Post a Comment