April 4, 2015

If I Could

If I could,
I'd handpick words from every language
And fling the warmest of them across the sky
Shining brightly like stars in the night
I'd pluck the brightest as gifts
Each morsel of light absorbed in your heart's beat

If I could,
I'd capture every lover’s whisper that caused a man’s heart to skip
Or a blush to curl ‘round his ear
And hand the phrases to you in a jar
Like one we'd use to catch fireflies
in the garden

If I could,
I'd take the glow you put in my eyes
And the love in my heart
And replicate them with ink on paper
So you could hold that shining wonder
close to you all day



This poem is part of my April Poetry Challenge. In honor of National Poetry Month this year, I'm writing lots of poetry and posting a new poem every day in April! Read more of my poetry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment