April 25, 2015

Still In My Heart

In a busy Mexican marketplace
A brown-eyed boy blocks my path
Selling Chiclets with a downcast face
I give him pesos, generous in my math.

The cobbled streets of Prague
Whisper stories under the feet of passersby
As the river's misty fog
Soars to meet the just-lit sky.

In the Dominican Republic, an orphan girl
Slips into the seat beside me
Her black hair a tangle of fuzzy curl
My name sounds strange to her ears, and we laugh freely.

India's Taj Mahal, resplendent in white
Conceals a tragic tale
It's a tomb, though blisteringly bright
And enormous in scale.



This poem is part of my April Poetry Challenge. In honor of National Poetry Month this year, I'm writing lots of poetry and posting a new poem every day in April! Read more of my poetry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment