April 6, 2015

Unequal

Every day, I’m locked indoors
Abandoned by my family
And when I cry in the middle of the night,
Hard-hearted, they ignore me

They don’t share the umbrella
When it rains
I just shiver, wet
As we walk the lanes

I’m not allowed to go outside
Without one of them or more
I’m not allowed to eat at the table
They serve my food on the floor

But when they come home
I always greet them, tail wagging
And if they have a treat,
That I might be guilty of snagging

So, I have to admit
Even though I’m not treated as an equal
I’m actually a pretty lucky dog
To have them as my people.



This poem is part of my April Poetry Challenge. In honor of National Poetry Month this year, I'm writing lots of poetry and posting a new poem every day in April! Read more of my poetry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment