April 27, 2015

Walking to the Barn

Blood-sucking bats.
That's what my parents--both teachers
Shared about with us tonight
In a book about exotic animals
After dinner.

Then, Mom asked if I'd fed
The cat.
Gulp. No.

So, I grabbed my jacket from a
Hook in the hallway.

My cat lived in the backyard
Where the sun had
Dug a deep hole in the horizon
And disappeared--
Taking every drop of light.

The sky was a new chalkboard
With not a single prick of chalky whiteness
To break the black.

The sooty sky
Was the perfect hiding place
For a blood-sucking bat.

I felt for my hood, bringing it up
Protectively around my white neck
Surely an easy target--especially
On such a night.

I shivered with the tree leaves
As the wind blew past.
I ran at a dead sprint
To the barn door.

Inside, I looked suspiciously up
At the rafters
But I saw no flutter
of wings.

I lifted precisely one scoop
of cat food into the cat's dish
As she mewed in the corner.

I shuddered looking out into
the black night.
Now I had to walk
Back home!



This poem is part of my April Poetry Challenge. In honor of National Poetry Month this year, I'm writing lots of poetry and posting a new poem every day in April! Read more of my poetry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment