April 13, 2015

When You Weren't Home

When you weren't home, you supposed me pining,
Annoying our neighbors with my whining
But I have a confession to make:
Though I looked drowsy-eyed, I was awake
When the garage door closed
I nosed
The ground
And found
A few chores had been left undone.
So, I decided to finish them, knowing you'd be stunned.

With the observation skills I've been employing
I've noticed our curtains are nothing but annoying
Shut to open, open to shut
What is the point of this little ritual, what?
Besides, I never cared for that deep shade of brown,
So I pulled every last curtain to the ground.

Finished with that,
I set my sights on a tissue, fallen on the bathroom mat
Gazing above, I saw a whole tissue roll
And I made decimating it my new goal
Scattering fluffy debris here and there
Decorating our home all the way to the living room chair.

Suddenly I heard the sound
Of an opening door, and I jumped 'round
And 'round your legs as if to say,
"See how much I helped today?"



This poem is part of my April Poetry Challenge. In honor of National Poetry Month this year, I'm writing lots of poetry and posting a new poem every day in April! Read more of my poetry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment