April 9, 2015

Where is the Line?

I have loans and bills to pay
Cups of tea at the café
Let’s not forget makeup and hairspray
Oh, and I want to see that ballet.

“Beauty, wealth, and influence are the way
To lead a meaningful life today!”
“You deserve to entertain yourself before you hit the hay!”
At least that’s what culture seems to say.

But I think those things lead to societal tooth decay.

I don’t believe it’s wrong to buy tickets to a play, per se,
But how much am I thinking of others when I give those dollars away?
With hurt, loss, disease, poverty, death, and decay
In the world, why does my selfishness still hold sway?

At some point, I go beyond “okay”
I cross the line and fritter away
What could have been used to allay
Awful injustice and evil today.

I am the Potter’s clay.
Lord, mold and shape me; cut away
The selfishness that drags its feet, wanting to stay.
I don’t want to follow you halfway.



This poem is part of my April Poetry Challenge. In honor of National Poetry Month this year, I'm writing lots of poetry and posting a new poem every day in April! Read more of my poetry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment